Get a free giffgaff Sim

Saturday 22 September 2012

Windows 8 Review Part 2- What I love

Now that we have got over some of the things I hate now its time to talk about the things I love

I love

Metro Apps
Once you get over the metro ui you will soon find that the metro apps that are in the Microsoft Store are actually quite good and how apps immerse you in what you are doing whether it is watching a video, reading a news story in the BBC news app to reading a book in the Kindle app, every app that I have installed and tried is fast, stable and beautiful

Another example is getting stuff done, what I like to do is create chrome web apps of things like blogger, google drive, etc and run them in metro interface (Which chrome has recently added support for) and while in that interface I find that I can get stuff done and this can be thanks to the unobtrusive nature of things like notifications are and don't need to be clicked like before if I ran them in the Classic UI, this is one of the things I love about Ubuntu and it's good to see other companies are adopting the same approach

Microsoft Store
When I installed Windows 8 in the consumer preview I found it lacked applications, however with the RTM there are hundreds of each category ranging from Productivity to Games. Another thing I love is how open it is, in the past Microsoft would have forced you to develop an application in a language they have developed but now you can submit applications developed in HTML and javascript, C++, C#, VB. As well as that if it is developed in HTML then it should be fairly easy to grab the files and run them under Chrome and even on a different operating system like Mac or Linux

I wont call it a success yet until I see Microsoft competitors in the store like Google products like Chrome, YouTube, gmail, etc

Fast
One of the things I was amazed about in the consumer preview was at how fast stuff ran especially on a 1gb laptop which I had lying around gathering dust (because of how slow it ran Windows 7), I even installed it on a 512mb machine and 800mhz pentium 3 and sure it wasn't fast but it ran faster than when I tried Windows 7 and Vista

I then tried it on my Intel core 2 quad machine with 4gb ram, 640gb SATA hard drive and also a 64gb ssd. I  left Ubuntu and Windows 7 on my SSD and installed Windows 8 on the hard drive, once I had fully had it installed I wanted to test out the improved boot speed so I timed how long it took from the boot menu to the desktop (disabled password on each) and even though the SSD won Windows 8 was very close and once it had booted it up it took seconds to get to the start screen.

I have now got rid of Windows 7 on the ssd and put Windows 8 in its place (Ubuntu is still faster though at 11 seconds compared to 8's 16 seconds)

Stable
In the year that I have been testing Windows 8 on my college machine that I was using from 9am to 4pm everyday and then my mother would use it from then on and it only crashed 3 times in the whole year. I dunno if it is luck, good hardware or what but im quite happy with how stable Windows 8 has been in comparison to previous versions of Windows

Wrong stable?

Conclusion
Even though I may not like how Metro ui currently works I will congratulate Microsoft on the improvements to the other parts (Mainly in the classic ui) and because of this

  • If you are a person looking for a tablet or some other device that has a touch screen monitor then you should consider on running Windows 8, because Metro ui is meant for those type form factors
  • If you are someone like me who is not interested in getting a touch screen device or monitor and is perfectly fine with their tablet or is not interested in getting a tablet then don't upgrade to Windows 8
  • Now if a hack comes out that will disable the metro ui and brings back the much loved start menu from Windows 7 then only upgrade your non-touch screen device if it costs a small amount of money or can get it for free because apart from the Metro UI nothing much has changed and its not worth the large amount of money Microsoft normally charges you for an upgrade or as a new install


In the end I will never forgive Microsoft for forcing this upon us desktop users, Canonical did the same with 11.04 where they pushed a user interface on users too soon and I forgive them because in the end Ubuntu is free while Windows 8 is not

No comments:

Post a Comment